#008 – Ovarian Cancer, Giving Back and Australian’s AusLitTeal Awareness – Sirin Steele
May 2, 2021
Australian Cancer Survivor and lead of the AusLitTeal awareness and advocacy campaign to “Lite Australia TEAL” joins us to discuss survivorship, and moving through an unexpected Ovarian Cancer diagnosis to find meaning in lighting up her whole country Teal. Her remarkable story takes us through her personal transformation from Mother, trained engineer, and someone pursuing her conventional life to being driven to raise awareness, empower patients and get more medical attention paid to the deadliest of gynecological cancers.
Key Discussion Points and Takeaways from this Our Cancer Journey Podcast Episode:
- How to spot early signs of Ovarian Cancer
- How the “whispers of Ovarian Cancer” are often misdiagnosed
- The importance of self-advocacy and asking directly for Ovarian Cancer detection testing
- The story of how humble giving-back efforts led to a Country-wide campaign to raise cancer awareness
- Ways of “giving back,” and how everyone can participate
- The benefit of proactive doctors and direct conversations with health care practitioners
- How a “quirky, eccentric, and direct” doctor helped her to process the news of Cancer and become grounded
- The importance of reaching out for support and engaging with support groups (when you are ready), and listening to your heart
References and Resources mentioned in this Episode:
- AusLitTeal Official Website: https://auslitteal.com/
- AusLitTeal Official Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/auslitteal
- AusLitTeal Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/auslitteal2021/
- Sirin Steele Facebook Page (where she can be messaged): https://www.facebook.com/sirin.steele
- Sirin Steele’s campaign email address: email@example.com
- Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation (OCRF) is AusLitTeal’s charity partner, and a regular recipient of donations from AusLitTeal’s fundraising efforts: https://www.ocrf.com.au/
- Women of Hope NL Facebook Group – A Facebook group originally started by Susan Glynn to support Ovarian cancer patients in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, but now includes women from around the world: https://www.facebook.com/Womenofhopenl
Episode Guest(s): Sirin Steele:
Sirin Steele is an Australian citizen, mother, trained engineer, and an Ovarian Cancer survivor. After recovering from her cancer treatments, she experienced a life transformation to become a leading cancer advocate in her country. Starting by giving-back in simple and small ways, Sirin was eventually contacted by Susan Glynn, a passionate Ovarian Cancer advocate from Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada (literally half-way around the world). Susan asked Sirin if she could help raise awareness about Ovarian Cancer by “Lighting Up Her City in Teal” (the official color of Ovarian Cancer advocacy). Hesitant at first, Sirin agreed to assist. What started as an attempt to request one building in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia to light its facade Teal evolved into a now multi-year Nation-Wide awareness Campaign.
Episode Host: Bruce Watkins
A Father, Cancer survivor, podcaster, writer & content creator, speaker, voice-over artist, facilitator/moderator, traveler, cultural explorer, humanitarian, giving-back & minimalist evangelist, music enthusiast, former Corporate people leader, and curious soul who transformed into an unapologetically optimistic and unpretentious advocate of Life-Optimization for all.
After surviving Cancer and other life-changing experiences in 2017, Bruce gave away most of his possessions, left his home behind and began traveling, writing, volunteering, and giving-back. Learn more:
Follow Our Facebook Page:
Subscribe for Free to the OCJ Newsletter:
Check out Our Official Webpage:
Request to Subscribe/Follow, Review and Ratings – Please help us share this information!
A top aim of the Our Cancer Journey Podcast is to help share valuable information with those impacted by Cancer, their caregivers and their loved ones. Your positive ratings, show reviews (on Apple Podcasts), and especially your personal recommendations and sharing of our show with others, are the most effective ways you can help us get the important information about Survivorship out to those that need it! So please subscribe, rate, review and share the Our Cancer Journey Podcast, our website and our Facebook page with friends and in your social media.
Thanks for Listening! With Gratitude, The Our Cancer Journey Podcast Team.
Feedback and Subscribe
FEEDBACK: We’d Enjoy Hearing Your Feedback! Click Here to submit a message to the Our Cancer Journey Podcast.
SUBSCRIBE to our NEWSLETTER: Sign up to get on the Our Cancer Journey mailing list. We do not sell our subscribers’ information and will do our best to send meaningful information without “spammy” noise. We Promise! Click here and scroll down the page to the Subscribe button.
Thanks! The OCJ Team
Content Advisory Note:
The content of the Our Cancer Journey Podcast with Bruce Watkins, our website, and of all other associated media forms is provided for informational, inspirational, and entertainment purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. The information shared in our content and the views expressed by the hosts and guests of the program are their own. The Our Cancer Journey podcast with Bruce Watkins, its related media, and Fairlead Media do not suggest or intend that information or opinions shared in these media should or must replace the relationship you have with your chosen healthcare professional(s) and practitioner(s). The mention of any product, service, organization, activity, or therapy on a podcast should not be construed as an endorsement. If paid or free promotional content is included during the podcast or within other media, such content will be separated into its own unique promotional spot or mention.