#003 – Restorative Yoga Part 2 – Tips for Your First Oncology Yoga Class & Recovery – Kathleen Ross-Allee
December 28, 2020
About This Episode
In this “Part 2” episode of an extended interview with Kathleen Ross-Allee (see bio below), we discuss various tips when attending your first Oncology Yoga Class. We also share deeper discussions about the types of barriers people experience when they attend group therapy classes in their new “post-cancer-treatment bodies and selves.”
Key Discussion Points and Takeaways from this Our Cancer Journey Podcast Episode
- How Western Medical Practitioners and Certified Yoga Therapists collaborate on patient care
- How to overcome apprehension and typical challenges with group dynamics when attending therapy sessions
- How to avoid the “Come-to-Class Only” mindset
- Highlight the importance of students and certified yoga trainers working together to develop a sustainable in-home personal yoga practice
- How to overcome the barrier of the concept of “Practice” within the Yoga world
- Replace the pressure of “Goals” with the freedom of “Intentions”
- Adopt the “body self-exploration” mindset throughout your cancer recovery
- Review types of barriers people experience when their “post cancer treatment self” shows-up to these and other therapy classes
- And, beyond the subject of this episode, we gain some value insights from a surprise discussion with Kathleen about her Parents choice to hide her Mother’s Cancer diagnosis and treatment from Kathleen when she was a teenager, including:
- How parents’ decisions about communicating the arrival of Cancer can affect children, even later in life
- A personal comment from Bruce about supporting and “holding space” for others
References and Resources mentioned in this Episode
- Kathleen Ross-Allee’s Website: https://www.leenbodies.com/
- Loyola Marymount University – Certificate in Yoga Therapy Rx Program: https://crs.lmu.edu/yoga/therapy/about/programs/basic/
- Below are links to the Bruce Watkins’ Magazine Article – Surviving Corona Virus: Understanding and Discharging Your Distress:
- Click here to read the BACKSTORY of how Bruce came to write the article: https://www.brucewatkins.com/recent-articles-best-self-magazine-feature-surviving-coronavirus-distress/
- Click here it read the Article in Best Self Magazine: https://bestselfmedia.com/surviving-coronavirus/
Episode Guest(s): Kathleen Ross-Allee
Kathleen Ross-Allee is currently the Managing Director of the Loyola Marymount University Yoga Therapy Rx programs (the first university accredited program in the United States), and a Certified Yoga Therapist and Clinical Health Educator for Thrive Yoga Therapy at Kaiser Permanente where she helps patients address a variety of health issues. She participated in developing and enhancing integrative post-rehabilitation and yoga therapy programs and exercise programs at world-leading hospitals such as Cedars Sinai-Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Center and others. Kathleen continues to teach yoga therapy as well as speak at Patient Support centers, schools, and conferences throughout the Country.
Episode Host: Bruce Watkins
A Father, Cancer survivor, podcaster, writer & content creator, speaker, voice-over artist, facilitator/moderator, traveler, cultural explorer, humanitarian, giving-back & minimalist evangelist, music enthusiast, former Corporate people leader, and curious soul who transformed into an unapologetically optimistic and unpretentious advocate of Life-Optimization for all.
After surviving Cancer and other life-changing experiences in 2017, Bruce gave away most of his possessions, left his home behind and began traveling, writing, volunteering, and giving-back. Learn more:
Follow Our Facebook Page:
Subscribe for Free to the OCJ Newsletter:
Check out Our Official Webpage:
Request to Subscribe/Follow, Review and Ratings – Please help us share this information!
A top aim of the Our Cancer Journey Podcast is to help share valuable information with those impacted by Cancer, their caregivers and their loved ones. Your positive ratings, show reviews (on Apple Podcasts), and especially your personal recommendations and sharing of our show with others, are the most effective ways you can help us get the important information about Survivorship out to those that need it! So please subscribe, rate, review and share the Our Cancer Journey Podcast, our website and our Facebook page with friends and in your social media.
Thanks for Listening! With Gratitude, The Our Cancer Journey Podcast Team.
Oh, and …. Namaste!
Feedback and Subscribe
FEEDBACK: We’d Enjoy Hearing Your Feedback! Click Here to submit a message to the Our Cancer Journey Podcast.
SUBSCRIBE to our NEWSLETTER: Sign up to get on the Our Cancer Journey mailing list. We do not sell our subscribers’ information and will do our best to send meaningful information without “spammy” noise. We Promise! Click here and scroll down the page to the Subscribe button.
Thanks! The OCJ Team
Content Advisory Note:
The content of the Our Cancer Journey Podcast with Bruce Watkins, our website, and of all other associated media forms is provided for informational, inspirational, and entertainment purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. The information shared in our content and the views expressed by the hosts and guests of the program are their own. The Our Cancer Journey podcast with Bruce Watkins, its related media. and Fairlead Media do not suggest or intend that information or opinions shared in these media should or must replace the relationship you have with your chosen healthcare professional(s) and practitioner(s). The mention of any product, service, organization, activity or therapy on a podcast should not be construed as an endorsement. If paid or free promotional or awareness-building content is included during the podcast or within other media, such content will be separated into its own unique promotional spot or mention.